Prevent Heat Stress
The term “heat stress” refers to a group of heat-related illnesses that include heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke, which can be fatal.
The following precautions can be taken to prevent heat-related illnesses:
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle during hot weather.
- Drink plenty of fluids before working in a hot environment, and replenish lost fluids during rest breaks.
- Plan strenuous outdoor activity for early or late in the day when it is cooler.
- Take frequent rest breaks.
- If you are taking medications, be especially careful about heat exposure. Some medications can make you more vulnerable to heat.
Safety: You get out of it what you put into it.