Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Produce less waste by practicing the 3R’s:
1. Reduce the amount and toxicity of trash you discard.
2. Reuse containers and products, repair what is broken or give it someone who can repair it.
3. Recycle as much as possible, which includes buying products with recycled content.
REDUCE- Waste prevention (or “source reduction”) means consuming and throwing away less. This includes:
• Purchasing durable, long-lasting goods
• Seeking products and packaging that are as free of toxins as possible.
REUSE- Reusing items, by repairing them, donating them to charity and community groups, or selling them also reduces waste. Reusing products, when possible, is even better than recycling because the item does not need to be reprocessed before it can be used again.
RECYCLE- Recycling turns materials that would otherwise become waste into valuable resources. It generates a host of environmental, financial, and social benefits. Materials like glass, metal, plastics, and paper can be collected, separated and sent to facilities that can process them into new materials or products.