Swimming Pool Safety
Did you know that drowning is the leading cause of unintentional injury-related death among children ages 1-4? If you have a pool in your yard, protect your children (and those in your neighborhood) by observing the following suggestions:
- Learn how to swim!
- Never leave a child in or near a pool unattended, even for a minute. Don’t be distracted by doorbells, phone calls, chores or conversations.
- If a child is missing, check the pool first.
- Post and enforce swimming pool rules such as: “No running,” “No pushing,” “No drinking”and“Never swim alone.”
- Enclose your pool with a fence that has self-closing, self-locking gates.
- Keep toys away from the pool when not in use.
- Keep basic life-saving equipment near the pool.
- Install a phone or keep a cordless phone near the pool so that you can call 9-1-1 in an emergency.
- Learn how to perform CPR, and post CPR instructions in the pool area.